How to install WILBOR on to your computer
You will need:
- A personal computer with Windows 98SE or later
(also works on Macs)
- A valid library card from your library
- Free media software: Overdrive Media Console
- Windows Media Player v. 10 or higher (also free)
- Access to the Internet
Installing Free Software - Overdrive Media Console
Go to the WILBOR website using the icon on your library's website, or point your browser to: http://wilbor.lib.overdrive.com. Scroll down until you see the "Install Overdrive Media Console" icon in the navigation bar on the left, and click on the icon.
- Follow the instructions in the Wizard to download and install the Console (and Window Media Player, if it is not already on your computer)
- The first time you install the Media Console you will also need to do a one-time Windows Media Player Security Upgrade:
- Open the Media Console and from the "Tools" menu select "Windows Media Player Security Upgrade." The upgrade will install itself.
Check out titles
Search or browse the collection on the WILBOR website: http://wilbor.lib.overdrive.com
- When you find a title you'd like to borrow, click on "Add to Cart." It will stay in your cart for 30 minutes. (If the title is already checked out you can click on "Add to wait list" and you will receive an e-mail when it is available for you to check out)
- Click on "Proceed to checkout." Find Des Moines Public Library in the lists of participating libraries and type in your library card barcode number and PIN.
Note: You may have 3 titles checked out at one time, and each
title is checked out for 1 week. Even though books check out for 1 week, if you move the book to a portable player, it will stay on your portable player until you are finished listening.
- After checkout , click on the Download button for the title. The Media Console will automatically launch.
- Select the parts you want to download and click on OK. Generally, you should have a check-mark by every part. The title will begin to download.
- Once downloaded you may listen to the book on your computer, using Windows Media Player, or you may transfer to a portable device, such as an MP3 player. Some titles may also be burned to CD for your personal use. (Look for the icon for CD burning)
Transfer to MP3 player or other portable device
- Connect your portable device to the computer
- In the Overdrive Media Console select the book you want to transfer and click on the "Transfer" button at the top of the Console window.
- Click "Next"
- When the device has been detected, the confirmation window
- select the parts that you want to transfer and click on "Next"
- when the transfer is complete you can disconnect the device.
Click on 'Finish"
Burning to CD
This is only for those titles for which CD burning is allowed by the publisher. The following directions assume that you have downloaded the latest version of the Overdrive Media Console:
- Insert a blank CD-R in the CD drive of your computer.
- In the Media Console, select the title you want to burn to CD and click on the "Burn" button at the top of the Console window.
- In the Burn wizard window click "Next"
- Choose the parts to want to download. It will burn the parts one at a time, and prompt you when you need to insert another blank CD, so you can select all the parts if you want to eventually burn all of them.) Click on "Next."
- When each part has been burned you'll be prompted to insert
At the end of the lending period, your downloaded audio book will automatically expire and be checked back into the digital library. There are no late fees!
The file will still be visible on your computer in the Overdrive Media Console, but you won't be able to open it. Once you are finished with it, click "Delete." It will remain on your portable player until you are finished listening, at which point you may delete it.
Still Need Help?
Contact our Library Webmaster for questions during normal
business hours. email@example.com